Durable Medical Equipment (DME) is any equipment that provides therapeutic benefits to a patient in need because of certain medical conditions and/or illnesses.
Durable Medical Equipment (DME) consists of items which:
- are primarily and customarily used to serve a medical purpose;
- are not useful to a person in the absence of illness or injury;
- are ordered or prescribed by a physician;
- are reusable;
- can stand repeated use, and
- are appropriate for use in the home.
DME includes, but is not limited to, wheelchairs (manual and electric), hospital beds, traction equipment, canes, crutches, walkers, kidney machines, ventilators, oxygen, monitors, pressure mattresses, lifts, nebulizers, bili blankets and bili lights.